Seniors are prone to having a vitamin D deficiency as they lose some of their ability to naturally synthesize vitamin D from sunlight. As a provider of home care in Worcester, MA, we advocate for adding vitamin D to the diet of our senior patients as it is essential to various bodily functions.
Here are some reason why vitamin D is important to seniors:
- A vitamin D deficiency can cause bone softening, cognitive difficulties, frailty, and nausea.
- Vitamin D promotes bone health and prevents osteoporosis.
- Vitamin D decreases the likelihood of gum disease, tooth decay, and other oral diseases.
- Vitamin D can boost your mood and mental health.
Although there are foods fortified with this vitamin, vitamin D is not commonly found in a lot of food. Your hospice care or health care provider may recommend the following alternative sources:
- Taking an afternoon walk for sunshine or having a UV lamp for the colder months
- Supplements such as cod liver oil
- Adding food such as salmon and mushrooms to your diet
- Milk that is fortified with vitamin D
Are you in need of home health care to ensure your proper nutrition? Contact us at Dunamis Home Care of Massachusetts. We provide you with phenomenal care from within the comfort of your home.
We also provide services such as companionship, home health aides, live-in home service, and respite care in Massachusetts.